- Everyone Wins on Hollywood’s Biggest Night with Distinctive Assets’ Legendary Nominee Gift Bags (2/15/2017) - As awards season approaches its exciting climax in Tinseltown, Distinctive Assets will once again indulge and titillate the major Oscar® nominees with its annual “Everyone Wins” Nominee Gift Bags which have become the most buzzed about swag in history. The “Everyone Wins” Nominee Gift Bags have been independently produced by Distinctive Assets for the past […]
- Pecan vs. pecan: The divide over how to say the word can drive you nuts (1/6/2017) - A few weeks after the elections, in a much-needed gesture of goodwill, I apologized to millions of Americans for having mispronounced “pecan.” No, it wasn’t easy to eat a piece of my own humble pie. Both blunder and apology came during guest spots on the radio show “All Things Considered.” A year ago, in response […]
- Pecan Pie in 5 Easy Steps (11/16/2016) - Pecan Pie in 5 Easy Steps The National Pecan Shellers Association Shares Holiday Recipes Atlanta, Ga. – Nov. 15, 2016 – The holidays aren’t quite complete without having a traditional pecan pie on your dessert table. This rich delicacy is most often served between Thanksgiving and New Year’s and is a long-held Southern favorite. From […]
- Are Americans About to Go Nuts For Pecans? (9/9/2016) - Though often associated with high-calorie holiday desserts and delectably sweet treats, pecans have distinguished themselves as not only a tantalizingly tasty nut, but also a surprisingly healthful food. One of the few tree nuts indigenous to North America, pecans are vitamin and mineral powerhouses, providing thiamine, folate, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and zinc, while also containing […]
- Southern Farm & Garden Magazine (8/29/2016) - Sneak Peak! PRAISE THE PECAN! Southern Farm & Garden takes an inside look at The Pecan. Begin with an excerpt from James McWilliams book, The Pecan, a History of America’s Native Nut. Pecan trees were thriving in southern North America when Native Americans crossed the Bering Strait, or perhaps entered by boat farther down the Pacific […]
- With a new federal marketing order, can pecans become the next ‘it’ nut? (8/22/2016) - The USDA approved a federal marketing order (FMO) for the pecan industry earlier this year, enabling the industry to collect mandatory dues that will go towards marketing and research efforts for US pecans. Last week, the industry started the nomination process for members of a new American Pecan Council, which will decide how the funds […]
- USDA Announces New Pecan Marketing Order (8/4/2016) -
- Pecan South Magazine – June 2016 (7/19/2016) - NPSA hosts Pecan Chefs Summit – Beyond Pecan Pie in the June issue of Pecan South magazine. Enjoy recipes, nutrition and so much more. Happy reading!
- Pecan Country News – Summer 2016 (7/19/2016) - In the Summer 2016 issue of Pecan Country News you will find the “7 Top Pecan Tips-Beyond the Pie” video from the National Pecan Shellers Association.
- April is National Pecan Month (3/20/2016) - Think outside the pie and grab a handful of pecans! With American adults and children snacking more, it’s time to spotlight the natural, healthy, fuss-free pecan.
- Another Reason to Love Pecans: The American Heart Association Certifies Pecans As Heart Healthy Food (7/24/2012) - Pecans are now designated as heart-healthy when enjoyed as part of a healthy eating pattern by the American Heart Association’s Heart-Check Certification Program ...
- Pecans: #1 in Antioxidants Among Nuts According to ORAC Values (4/19/2012) - Pecans are high in healthy unsaturated fat that can lower total blood cholesterol and preserve high-density lipoproteins (HDL) or “good” cholesterol.
- Survey: More Americans Can Benefit from Pecan Diet (11/1/2011) - Health professionals encourage Americans to “Think Outside the Pie” A new survey suggests that pecans are one of nature’s best kept secrets. Although medical research suggests that eating pecans in moderation may reduce the risk of heart disease, 54 percent of Americans are unaware that pecans are good for you. Heart disease is the leading […]
- LLU shows antioxidants in pecans may contribute to heart health & disease prevention (1/6/2011) - A new research study from Loma Linda University (LLU) demonstrates that naturally occurring antioxidants in pecans may help contribute to heart health and disease prevention; the results are published in the January 2011 issue of The Journal of Nutrition. Pecans contain different forms of the antioxidant vitamin E—known as tocopherols, plus numerous phenolic substances, many of […]
- Pecans May Provide Neurological Protection (6/9/2010) - Study suggests pecans may delay progression of motor neuron degeneration Eating about a handful of pecans each day may play a role in protecting the nervous system, according to a new animal study published in the current issue ofCurrent Topics in Nutraceutical Research. The study, conducted at the Center for Cellular Neurobiology at the University […]
- Handful of Pecans May Help Reduce Risk of Heart Disease (10/1/2009) - A recent study shows more than 92 percent of all Americans are at some risk for developing heart disease. The report, published in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association, notes that the continuing U.S. obesity epidemic may bear much of the blame. As harvest season approaches, the National Pecan Shellers Association (NPSA) is recommending […]
- USDA: Pecans Still #1 for Antioxidants Among All Nuts (3/18/2008) - Celebrate National Pecan Month with a Healthy Handful of the All-American Nut April is National Pecan Month, and there’s never been a better reason to celebrate. The latest research from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) confirms pecans are still the most antioxidant-rich tree nut and are among the top category of foods to contain the […]
- New research confirms antioxidant-rich pecans protect against unhealthy oxidation in the body (9/28/2006) - New research from Loma Linda University (LLU) shows that adding just a handful of pecans to your diet each day may inhibit unwanted oxidation of blood lipids, thus helping reduce the risk of heart disease. Researchers suggest that this positive effect was in part due to the pecan’s significant content of vitamin E. “Plant foods, […]
- Pecans Provide Healthy Snack Alternative (4/1/2006) - If you’re looking for an afternoon snack and you’re afraid potato chips will come back to haunt you this summer, try a handful of pecans instead. These nutritious tree nuts will keep your stomach from growling – and, used wisely, keep it from growing. Pecans are a tasty and healthy substitute for traditional snack foods. […]
- New Science Confirms that Pecans Rank #1 in Antioxidant Capacity Among All Nuts (7/15/2004) - Newly published research shows that the pecan, that All-American nut, contains the most antioxidant capacity of any other nut and is among the top category of foods to contain the highest antioxidant capacity. Antioxidants are substances found in foods that protect against cell damage and, studies have shown, can help fight diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, […]
- New Heart Health Claim Approved by FDA for Pecans (7/17/2003) - FDA Confirms What Pecan Lovers Have Known all Along – Pecans Not Only Taste Good, They’re Also Good For You Consumers who think a healthful diet is bland and boring should think again. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently approved a health claim for pecans and other nuts regarding their role in helping to […]
- Nut consumption Linked With Reduced Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death, Says Harvard Research (6/24/2002) - Nuts Like Pecans Also May Be Linked with Lesser Risk of Diabetes When it comes to eating what is healthy for them, nut-consuming physicians seem to be in the know, according to new Harvard research. Published in the June 24 issue of the prestigious Archives of Internal Medicine (a publication of the American Medical Association), the study […]
- Lowering Your Cholesterol Just Got a Whole Lot Tastier (9/6/2001) - New Research Finds that Adding Just a Handful of Pecans to a Traditional Low-Fat Diet Can Dramatically Lower LDL Cholesterol – Similar to Cholesterol-Lowering Medication If you think eating a heart-healthy diet means you have to restrict yourself to bland, flavorless foods, think again. Delicious, satisfying foods like pecans may be just what the doctor […]
- Specific Type of Vitamin E Found In Pecans May Improve Intestinal and Prostate Health, Says New Research (4/17/2001) - Other Research Confirms A High-Fiber Diet, Including Nuts, Helps Lower Cholesterol Pecans contribute a significant amount of gamma tocopherol (a unique form of vitamin E) to the diet, say researchers at Loma Linda University. According to Loma Linda researcher Dr. Ella Haddad, gamma tocopherol is an important antioxidant nutrient and notes that studies have shown […]
- Major Study Finds Nut Consumption Linked with Reduced Stroke Risk (8/4/2000) - Pecans A Good Dietary Source of Vitamin E There’s more good news on the health front for pecans. A new study has found that foods which are good dietary sources of vitamin E – such as nuts, mayonnaise and margarine – may significantly decrease the risk of death from stroke. The research, reported in the […]
- Research Finds Pecans Added to a Regular Diet Can Lower “Bad” and Total Cholesterol (3/13/2000) - Pecans, loved for centuries for their outstanding taste, should no longer be viewed as a holiday indulgence. These delicious nuts can add flavor, crunch, and texture to just about any meal or snack. Now, a study at New Mexico State University (NMSU) finds that pecans offer something even more important than great taste and versatility […]