Classic Pecan Pie
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tbsp. cornmeal
- ½ cup butter, cut in cubes
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3-4 tbsp. water
- 4-5 tbsp. extra flour
- Place flour, cornmeal, butter and salt in a food processor.
- Mix for about 1-2 minutes, until a sand-like mixture forms.
- Slowly add water until the mix forms a ball of dough.
- Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Roll dough into an 11-inch round on a floured surface.
- Place dough into a 9-inch pie tin.
- Use your fingers to have the dough fit firmly into the pan.
- Use either a fork or your fingers to make a decorative edge.
- Prick dough with a fork and line the dough-filled pie pan with aluminum foil.
- Fill the lined pan with dried bean or pie weights.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, then remove foil and beans/pie weights and bake uncovered for another 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 1 ¼ cup of pecans
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Mix all of the above ingredients together with a whisk until well blended.
- Add 1 ¼ cups of pecans.
- Place filling into baked pie crust.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove and cool completely before serving.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream is desired. Serves 6-8.
Courtesy: The Smith College Club of New York City’s More Cooking with Pecans