Tips for Buying, Using, and Storing Pecans
To keep pecans fresh and flavorful, follow these buying and storage guidelines:
- When buying pecans, look for plump pecans that are uniform in color and size.
- Shelled pecans can be kept in the refrigerator for about nine months and for up to two years in the freezer.
- Pecans can be thawed and refrozen repeatedly during the two-year freezing period without loss of flavor or texture.
- Airtight containers, such as jars with lids, are best for storing pecans in the refrigerator.
- Sealed plastic bags are best for storing pecans in the freezer.
- In-shell pecans can be stored in a cool, dry place for six to 12 months.
- After removal from cold storage, pecans will stay good for an additional two months.